Thursday, July 10, 2008

RSS Feeds

This lesson seemed like it had a split personality. (Of course, I'll entertain the suggestion that it's me who has the split personality.) On the one hand RSS feeds seem like an excellent thing and easy to understand. But, on the other, I felt that while I was swimming on a peaceful sea there were undertows that constantly threatened to swamp me. I don't know--it just seemed like there was too much "stuff" to navigate through, and the fact that my work computer has been performing like a cut-rate dialup connection and my workroom printer has been out of toner for a few days and I haven't been able to print out any cheat sheets hasn't helped matters any.

Kvetching aside, I think that RSS feeds and aggregators are really excellent tools. If a person visits several Web sites on pretty much a daily basis, what better way to save time than to have feeds from those sites all organized in one place. I will probably quit some of the feeds I set up just for practice, but there are others I'll keep and more that I'll add, both of sites I visit often and sites listed in Bloglines.

As for RSS use in libraries, I've already found several dealing with books and libraries that could offer helpful advice, and libraries are all about organization--and so are RSS feeds. I'm glad I was introduced to them (despite the everpresent fear of drowning).

My feeds can be seen at: http://www.bloglines.com/public/jimgeebee@yahoo.com.
jgburns@coj.net

No comments: